June 18, 2010

Oddly Fanatic

I heard the term "oddly fanatic" the other day. At first, my natural assumption was that such a title is meant to be offensive. However, when I contemplated the definitions:

1. Oddly (adv.) variation of Odd: - in a manner differing from the usual or expected;
2. Fanatic (adj.) - marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea;

I decided that I not only do I want to embrace this label for myself, but that my daughter Lainey practically deserves her photo next to it in the dictionary. For example, she is currently obsessed with tambourines. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. But just yesterday she approached me at a random point in the day and declared "I love ants, and Mommy, and Owen Edward, and...(long pause, enter excessive enthusiasm and razzle dazzle dance)...TAMBOURINES!" Her favorite activity right now, which takes place at least three times daily, is to take an old red frisbee and bang on it like a tambourine and then insist that I march along with her in her invisible parade. Sometimes she just takes the frisbee and throws it at me saying "Mommy, YOU tambourine." (Because apparently, tambourine is a verb too).

So while the subject of her enthusiasm may change weekly, she clearly has an oddly fanatical personality. And I love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got somethin' to say?